Tuesday, April 20, 2010

D is for Dreams


I slowly walk into my bedroom and shuffle across the supple hard wood floor. I climb onto my luxurious feather filled mattress, and pull the soft silk sheets over my freezing body. My eyes are closing faster and faster soon I fall asleep and surrender completely into the dark unknowingness of my dreams.... I am sailing through a vast aquamarine blue sea in a completely white sailboat. The bright golden sun beats down on me and warms my back, I feel at peace, a mist of salty water flys up around me and I close my eyes. Suddenly the sun disappears and frigid cold air surrounds my body instead of moist and humid. The boat is going a little to fast, the once aquamarine waters are now a dark, ugly blackish-green, and the waves are tossing my graceful sailboat around it. The sky is filled with grey clouds and a big fat rain drop lands on my head just as the loud thunder booms through my head and vibrates my eardrums. I see the first flash of electric yellow lightning and I scream as my delicate sailboat splinters in half. I fall into the water just as the lightning strikes once more my head is spinning, I can't think, I scream once more and with a start my eyes snap open. I sit up and realize I am once again in my comfy bed, than I look outside my window and see a thunder storm passing through. It was just a dream, I think but how? I felt the sun warm my back and I was soaked with water.

Dreams are curious things that happen to everyone, every night. It can be about anything, usually it's about something that has happened to you, for example one night I was running through a horrifying house and someone was chasing me I fell down and I got stabbed in the stomach. I woke up instantaneously and had an enormous pain in my stomach. Usually dreams can be extremely vivid and in technicolor and you feel that it is actually happening. A perfect Analogy of what dreams are about is Hannah Kochuk's poem called "A Night Spent in Technicolor"
A Night Spent in Technicolor
I sleep with pencil crayons under my pillows,
So I'll dream in purple pinks and yellows,
Dreams aren't much more than lifeless moments,
left in flight of black and white,
Unremembered a fools delight.
In my slumber I dream in raw umber
Of brilliant butterflies,
across orange sunset skies
When my dreams become to much to bare,
When I'm falling in A pit of despair
I pull out my crayons, a color of tan,
Choose one more teal
Then drift along and forget whats real,
take this dream a chance to feel
Because I dream in technicolor

I like this poem for many reasons. For one thing it completely explains the allusions that dreams can make in your head, where it says "drift along forget whats real". Also where it says "Dreams aren't much more than lifeless moments" and "Unremembered a fools delight", it shows that you can't always live in your dreams, but you can always make your dreams come true.

LIFE LESSON: If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make your dreams come true?
Oscar Hammerstein

Special Thanks to Hannah Kochuk who let me borrow her poem to use it in my blog post.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Emily! I really all the descreptive words you use, it really makes a picture in my mind of exactly what you are trying to write about. I like the description of the nightmare. I also liked when you related yourself to the blog post, next time try to do that more, it gives us some imformation about how this certain post connects to you.
    Other than that great post and Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers